Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Cleaning???

You know sometimes you get a wild hair and think I'm gonna clean out the closet or drawers whatever. Then half way through you look around see the total diaster you have created and realize that you don't really feel like cleaning anymore. But somehow you finish look at all your hard work and swear to never let it get messy again knowing in the back of your mind that after a couple of weeks maybe a month you will start to throw stuff in randomly and use it as a catch all once again. Well this wild hair came to me at work today so I decided to clean my office. Now I feel like I work in a 365 day yard sale because of all the broken junk I get to deal with so cleaning sometimes is not easy but I can't stand the disorganization and clutter. So I drafted a helper (thank God for her) and set out to make my office a homey, cozy little nook that I may enjoying spending half my life in. Right on schedule half way through I look around to discover that I have created twice as much work for myself than I had when it was messy. Where to put stuff? Should I throw that away? We might need that someday ( though it's been there for a year and we have never used it). You know all the same stuff you go through when cleaning out the closet. I left work today feeling somewhat defeated knowing that I didn't get everything done and that I was now behind on my everyday duties. Great that will make for a "wonderful" day tomorrow. But I wonder why do we do this whether it back at work or at home? Why are we such horders? Why do we go through all the hard work to clean and then let it get messy again? Is there some trigger in our brains that flip making us forget the effort that we just put forth to completely renovate a space?
But one of the more amazing things is that when you start one of the projects the amount of people that actually stop and say "What are you doing?" Why do people have to ask questions that they already know the answer to? That would be like me asking someone I work with "Why are you wearing khakis and a blue shirt?" (Maybe because it's dresscode) So why would I ask that question? I don't know how many times I have to say this but if people would take 2 seconds to think before they talk we would all save a few breaths and we wouldn't get so many stupid looks or stupid answers from people. If everybody is so worried about the earth and our ozone layer then stop asking stupid questions. I don't have the exact numbers (really not sure if it's even been researched, but it should be) but I'm sure it couldn't hurt.

1 comment:

  1. I am laughing so hard right now, I just tried to clean my office at the store and ended up wasting an hour that I didn't have to waste and it still has the same amount of junk just "re-organized" differently. Nothing really accomplished because I think the same thing about possibly needing it later down the road. I do pretty well at home though I can't stand clutter. I just get on sprees where I throw shit away no matter what it is or what it might go to, if I don't remember I just toss it! I'm so bad with Rees' toys I get sick of looking at them then they go into storage for the yard sale. Oh man just hit me that I need to go unplug that huge monstrosity in my back yard! I'm sure your sick of staring at it! C-ya

    ReplyDelete