Sunday, August 16, 2009

The point of marriage

I heard in a movie once that "Being married is being yourself only with someone else". I have come to realize how true that is. I look at my marriage with Jesse (though only 10 months old) and realize how lucky I am. I wonder how many other people would be in a relationship with a "weirdo" like me. I am always dancing around the house with a variety of styles ranging from river dance, to tap, to square dancing, to country line dancing to Jesse's favorite hip hop. None of these am I trained in, but do feel like I have mastered enough to perform them regularly in the kitchen, livingroom, bedroom and on occassion the front porch (my poor neighbors, thank God they are friends). But instead telling me I look stupid or to stop because I'm acting foolish my wonderful husband joins in with some "specialized" moves of his own.
When we are not dancing there is the singing, we love to make up songs using ever tune known to man about topics that most people would never know a song could be created about. I claim that we should be song writers for people like Weird Al ( anyone younger than probably 25 will have no clue who I'm talking about).
In these "special"moments most guys would have turn around and run away or tried to have me commited. But after waiting alomst 30 years I found someone who takes me for me and loves the strangest things about me. Which I'm not sure if that means that he's "special" too or if that just makes me special to him. I wonder when I look at other married or commited couples how many of them have a "married personality" and a "rest of the time personality". That would be miserable for me so thank God I'm just me and someone loves that.
I learned many years ago, way before I heard that quote from a movie that I should never change myself for anyone and that I was speical enough being me that the right person would come along to love just that. Some people had to try many times to find the proper equation, and I looked around for awhile, you could say I rented a few husbands before I found the make, model and year that I was looking for and wanted to buy. I took out the lifetime warranty and the no refund policy is what I hope to follow.
I'm not saying that my marriage is perfect (we all know my husband has flaws, just kidding honey I can from the scratch and dent warehouse myself) but even with the flaws we have we took each other for us, not hoping that we would become someone else. I say to all married, commited or thinking about becoming one of these couples take a good look. Can you be you, in smart and in stupid, in cranky and in delight, in skinny and in fat, can you just be you and your partener love you just as much. Can you dance the electric slide to Hang on Sloopy on your front porch were anyone can see you and they join in instead of bow their head and run inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment